In today’s digital age, the realm of healthcare marketing has evolved beyond traditional methods. With the rise of social media and video-sharing platforms, healthcare providers now have a unique opportunity to connect with patients on a deeper, emotional level through the art of storytelling. Video marketing, for doctors and medical practices especially, can better connect an MD with their audiences and strengthen patient experiences.
In this article, we’ll dive into all the nitty gritty details of why video marketing for
doctors—especially nowadays–is critical in bolstering patient and provider experiences. We’ll also touch upon some useful storytelling tips to utilize when creating videos for doctor’s offices.
The Science Behind Storytelling
From ancient campfires to modern cinema, storytelling has stood as one of the most important and impactful facets of human culture, and the reason for its universality is rooted in the way our brains respond to narratives.
Neuroscientists have discovered that when we hear a story, our brains release oxytocin, which is also known as the “trust hormone”. Oxytocin not only fosters empathy and emotional bonding but also enhances our ability to remember and recall information. In healthcare, where trust and understanding are paramount, leveraging this natural neurological response can be a game-changer. Video marketing is just one of many ways to stimulate this neurological response!
But Why is Video Marketing for Doctors so Important?
In an era where authenticity reigns supreme, video content allows healthcare practices to showcase their values, mission, and culture in an engaging, impactful, and long-lasting way. Rather than relying on the written word and static stock images, video offers a dynamic and personalized platform to communicate.
There are several different kinds of videos you can make for your medical practice to not only improve your patients’ experiences but improve your medical practice’s brand and reputation. Here are a few examples:
- Patient Testimonials: These kinds of videos pack a big punch. No matter what specialty you practice, patients above all want to hear about success stories and patient experiences that mirror their own. Videos like this play a big role in easing anxieties while giving patients a sense of comfort in knowing they made the right choice by choosing you as their provider.
- General Patient Education Videos: Medical information can be complex and overwhelming for the average person. General patient education videos can be a great way to bridge this knowledge gap. These videos are geared towards explaining medical conditions, treatment options, and preventative measures in an easily digestible way. Pairing visual explanations with clear, concise language can demystify medical jargon, making it accessible and approachable for patient comprehension. Informed patients are more likely to actively participate in their own healthcare journey, fostering a stronger doctor-patient partnership and, oftentimes, better overall patient health.
- Procedure Demonstration Videos:Medical procedures, surgeries, and treatments can evoke serious anxiety in patients. Whether it’s an animated demonstration for a more serious procedure like open-heart surgery or a quick visual demonstration for something minor like Botox injections, video demonstrations are great tools to use in order to help patients understand what to expect. These videos provide transparency and insight, allowing patients to mentally prepare and understand each step of the procedure. By addressing concerns head-on and cluing patients in on the details of their procedure, doctors can create a more relaxed and informed patient experience.
- “Meet the Doctor” Videos: Another way to tackle video marketing for doctors is by creating “Meet the Doctor” videos. These clips essentially introduce medical professionals and their teams to potential patients. This personalized, pseudo face-to-face introduction allows patients to get to know their healthcare providers on a more human level, fostering a sense of connection and comfort even before stepping foot into the clinic.
How Do I Infuse Good Storytelling Techniques in My Practice’s Videos?
Melding good storytelling techniques with quality videography is an art, to say the least. After all, every doctor and respective practice is unique. However, there are a few general tips that you can use if you decide to start creating videos for doctor’s offices.
- Be Authentic: Patients (and people in general, for that matter) can smell inauthenticity from a mile away. When you are crafting your script and working with your videographer, make sure to take the extra time and effort to ensure that your authentic, genuine voice and message is shining through. This is a key step in establishing a sense of trust with patients.
- Stay Organized: Every good story has a solid foundation. Make sure to outline the flow of your video from top-to-bottom before getting near a camera. That means scripting things out—from dialogue to scene changes. That way, once everything is filmed and edited, your video will come across as well-paced and thoughtfully planned. This not only helps keep people’s attention throughout the duration of your video, but it also shows attention to detail and professionalism (which is a big plus in the medical field!).
- Showcase Your Unique Expertise: When appropriate (especially for a “Meet the Doctor” video or something of the sort), share your medical expertise and qualifications when creating videos for doctor’s offices. Patients want to know that they’re entrusting their health with a professional that has appropriate expertise with whatever ailment or medical issue they’re experiencing.
- Highlight What Makes Your Practice Different: There are plenty of providers out there to choose from. Make sure to make it clear to potential patients and patients alike what makes your practice special. Whether your team utilizes the latest and greatest technology in the medical field, you possess a unique skillset as a practitioner, or you and your team go the extra mile to deliver exceptional patient care, highlight your strengths!
- Use High Quality Videography and Editing Services: A picture is worth a thousand words. When it comes to video marketing for doctors, showing shaky and sloppily edited video material to your patients doesn’t send a great message about you or your clinic. Make sure to work with a videographer that not only is skilled at what they do but has experience in creating videos for doctors. A good way to gauge a videographer’s breadth of expertise is to take a look at their portfolio.
One Forty Films Has Been Handling Video Marketing for Doctors for Years
Storytelling is a tool that has the potential to transform healthcare marketing from transactional interactions to emotional connections. Through video content, healthcare providers can weave narratives that not only convey their values and mission but also celebrate patient success stories that resonate deeply with their audience. By following the tips provided, your healthcare practice can craft powerful videos that captivate, educate, and inspire, ultimately forge stronger relationships with your patients.
If you’re looking for a professional videographer’s help with creating impactful and high-quality videos for your medical practice, our team at One Forty Films can help.